Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sappho Undo & Neutrality Concealer Review

Back in April, when I went to the Green Living Show, I had the opportunity to meet the wonderful JoAnn Fowler (Founder & CEO of Sappho Cosmetics). I can't say enough good things about her. She's sweet, funny, sassy, personable, passionate, smart, and naturally beautiful. I swear I wasn't paid to say any of that! She wasn't even wearing makeup that day, not that she needs it, and still looked great. She was kind enough to send me a bunch of stuff to try out and I will be doing reviews in bits, instead of all at once.

JoAnn is a Canadian born makeup artist that has been in the business since 1989. She works in both film and TV, and when I met her at the show she was working on the TV show Arrow (which my boyfriend and I both watch). JoAnn started her makeup line with a need for clean, natural ingredients that are not only good for the skin but also versatile for daily wear and great for use in photos, TV and film. Her formulations "surpass the European Union's standards for safer cosmetics", which takes the guess work out of hunting for clean makeup. I mean, the ingredients are incredible.


Review time!

I feel as though beauty lovers are always on the hunt for the best concealer and we all have a preference for specific textures. For example, I love a liquid, water-like textured concealer. I find it works best at not caking and clings less to dehydrates/dry patches. Some people love a cream or creme or mousse textured concealer, to each their own. The Sappho concealer has a creamy texture, which definitely scared me at first.  So texture, textured, textures, I wonder how many more times I'll use those words.


Description of Undo (yellow): This mineral concealer with a light yellow base is good for counteracting redness on skin. Made with almond oil, it moves with the skin, minimizing the appearance of wrinkles. Incredible for pale skins or those who favour the winter colour scheme. Gluten and dimethicone free. Not vegan. (Beeswax)

Description of Neutrality (neutral): The best of the best concealer for anyone with a medium to light skin tone. Preserved with essential oils, this concealer moves with the skin. It's our biggest seller! Not vegan.

These are great! I put my hesitation aside and gave them a go, now I reach for them daily. I sometimes use Undo, sometimes Neutrality, sometimes both together, depends how adventurous I feel that day. Undo is an obvious yellow based concealer while Neutrality is, well, neutral. I would even say it leans a little more on the peachy pink side. The coverage is definitely buildable with both. The fact that they're so small can be a pro and a con; pro because they're so, so easy to travel with and take up little to no space, and con because they're $27 CAN for a little 5g jar. Mind you, the ingredients are so pure that I'm not sure a larger jar would make sense. It would probably go bad before being all used up. I have tried using the neutral shade for under my eyes, and it works really well at concealing my blue/purple veins. While the coverage is great, it does crease rather quickly. Creases less when I set it with a powder though. It's bound to happen, nothing a little finger tap can't fix. They also can look a little cakey on dry patches, but that tends to happen to me with any creamy textured (there we go again with that word) concealer or foundation that I use. They both blend out really nicely with a brush and with my fingers, I'm sure a damp sponge would work as well. As for wear time, if my skin hates me and has several blemishes then a touch up is required mid-day. On days when my skin is pretty good and only has minor redness/imperfections to be covered, it lasts all day (6-7 hours). I take off my makeup asap, so I'm not sure if it would last even longer. While Undo and Neutrality are in the "high end" price range, a little does go a long way and they outperformed my expectations. I prefer Neutrality to Undo, only because it can be used under my eyes as well as all over my face, so that is the shade that I would purchase when I run out and recommend most.

Both retail for $27 CAN for 5g jars. Can be purchased through Sappho Cosmetics and a bunch of other retailers across Canada.

Which concealer shade would you be interested in trying most?




I applied too thick a layer of Neutrality & didn't blend them out completely so that you could actually see them still

Undo Ingredients: Prunis dulcis (sweet almond) oil, titanium dioxide, apis mellifera (beeswax), palm christi oil, butyrospermun parkii (shea) butter, theobroma cacao (cocoa) butter, iron oxide, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) oil, oenothers biennis (evening primrose) oil, persea americana (avocado) butter, tocopherol (vitamin e), rosa mosqueta (rosehip) oil, aloe barbadensis (aloe) oil, zinc oxide, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) oleoresin, azadirachta indica (neem) oil.

Neutrality Ingredients: Prunis dulcis (sweet almond) oil, titanium dioxide, apis mellifera (beeswax), palm christi oil, butyrospermun parkii (shea) butter, theobroma cacao (cocoa) butter, iron oxide, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) oil, oenothers biennis (evening primrose) oil, persea americana (avocado) butter, tocopherol (vitamin e), rosa mosqueta (rosehip) oil, aloe barbadensis (aloe) oil, zinc oxide, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) oleoresin, azadirachta indica (neem) oil.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very helpful review! I'm already going to be buying the liquid foundation because it feels wonderful on the skin, contains natural and safe ingredients, and blends seamlessly. Now I know I'll also be buying the concealer too. The challenging part: how to decide which one?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it helped! The foundation is beautiful, I wish it didn't have tea tree in it :(. I'd say go with neutrality, it's more versatile & covers redness as well. Unless you use yellow under your eyes as well, then go with undo. Toughh life decisions huh? Lol. Xo

      Delete
  2. Great review! I've considered Neutrality before, but wasn't sure how dark it would be when they recommend it for medium to light skin tones. It looks fairly light though, so now I'm tempted :) I'm always looking for the best thing to cover dark circles and peachy tones seem to work best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty light, could be the lighting as well but it worked when I was lighter and works with my starting tan now. It'll really brighten the eye area. Peachy seems to work for most people, they just don't know it yet lol

      Delete

Thanks for the comment/feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...